Medicines that interact with Fioricet may either decrease its effect, affect how long it works for, increase side effects, or have less of an effect when taken with Fioricet.
An interaction between two medications does not always mean that you must stop taking one of the medications; however, sometimes it does. Speak to your doctor about how drug interactions should be managed.
Fioricet contains a combination of acetaminophen, butalbital, and caffeine. Acetaminophen is a pain reliever and fever reducer. Butalbital is in a group of drugs called barbiturates. It relaxes muscle contractions involved in a tension headache. Caffeine is a central nervous system stimulant. It relaxes muscle contractions in blood vessels to improve blood flow.
Common medications that may interact with Fioricet include:
- antidepressants, such as tricyclic antidepressants (eg, amitriptyline), monoamine oxidase inhibitors (eg, isocarboxazid, phenelzine, and tranylcypromine), or SSRIs (eg, fluoxetine, sertraline)
- anticonvulsants, such as carbamazepine, divalproex, lamotrigine, phenytoin, phenobarbital, or primidone
- antipsychotics (such as butyrophenones, phenothiazines, or thioxanthenes) and atypical antipsychotics (eg, olanzapine, quetiapine, ziprasidone)
- any medication that may cause drowsiness, such as amphetamines, benzodiazepines (eg, diazepam, lorazepam), first-generation antihistamines (such as doxylamine or promethazine), metoclopramide, or opioids (such as codeine, fentanyl or morphine)
- heart medications such as diltiazem or verapamil
- HIV medications such as ritonavir
- migraine medications, such as ergotamine or dihydroergotamine
- muscle relaxants, such as cyclobenzaprine
- other medications that contain acetaminophen or an opioid either in combination or as the sole ingredient
- sodium oxybate
Avoid drinking alcohol or taking illegal or recreational drugs while taking Fioricet.
Note that this list is not all-inclusive and includes only common medications that may interact with Fioricet. You should refer to the prescribing information for Fioricet for a complete list of interactions.